Dog-Killing Algae Popping Up Across U.S.

Blue-Green Algae is finding its way onto the radar of dog owners after a number of locations across the U.S. have seen incidents of dogs getting sick and even dying from it. The latest place it has shown up is New York City.

The toxic blue-green algae that is potentially lethal to dogs has now been found in three New York City park ponds––the latest place it’s cropped up after leaving a trail of sick and dead pets across North Carolina, Texas and Georgia.

According to the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, the blue-green algae was found in two Central Park ponds and another pond in Prospect Park.

Blue-green algae, also known as Cyanobacteria, is a microorganism that is caused by high nutrients, stagnant water, high temperatures and low oxygen…

“Most algae are harmless and are important parts of aquatic ecosystems, but blooms that produce blue-green algae (BGA) can be toxic.”

Dogs are particularly vulnerable to the toxins because of their tendency to swim and drink contaminated water.


Experts recommend that people* and their pets stay away from any algae that they may encounter. Officials also suggest that people do not drink from lakes or ponds or swim in the water.

Dogs should be kept on leashes and should not be allowed to swim or drink from ponds that are not specifically designated for that.


*Humans can get sick from the algae as well…human contact with the algae can lead to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea as well as skin and eye irritation and asthma-like symptoms.